A 43 year old man was found in cardio respiratory arrest by firefighters who intervened on a fire in a building at 25 rue Maquis Foch, in the center of Confolens.
Firefighters were called to a fire at the apartment on the third floor, around 0.30am in the night from Friday to Saturday. Smoke escaped through the window.
Firefighters evacuated three adults and a child of the neighboring apartments. Continuing their search in the stricken housing they discovered the unconscious man, intoxicated by the fumes, which could not be revived. The man was alone in the premises.
The sub-prefect of Confolens was there. An investigation was opened by the police.