The Famous singer, Placido Domingo refutes sexual harassment charges reported by nine women
The famous Spanish tenor Placido Domingo, who has been accused of sexual harassment by several women, has resigned as chief executive of the Los Angeles Opera, several US media reported on Wednesday.
“Recent accusations in the media have created an atmosphere that prevents me from being useful to this company that I love so much,” said the 78-year-old singer in a statement sent to US media. “Although I will continue to try to restore my reputation, I decided that it was better for the Los Angeles Opera that I leave my position as General Manager and forego my planned shows for the time being,” he said. he added.
Placido Domingo, who refutes the accusations against him, said he took “with a heavy heart” the decision to abandon the leadership of this institution, which he had held since 2003. He had already given up last week to perform at the Metropolitan Opera of New York, where he was expected in a new production of Macbeth by Giuseppe Verdi.
Eleven other women claim to be victims
In a survey published in mid-August by the Associated Press, nine women, including one with open faces, said they were sexually harassed by the tenor, from the late 1980s. These women spoke of inappropriate gestures and insistent calls, one of whom said that he had sex with him for fear of jeopardizing his career. The Associated Press released a second investigation on Sept. 7 claiming that 11 other women, also claiming to be victims, had come forward since the first revelations.
The Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera had cancelled their performances, scheduled for this season, as soon as the charges were made public.