Meteo France placed twelve departments of central and southern France on orange alert due to heavy snowfall and black ice on the roads
The winter is definitely installed. And in some departments the caution. This Friday 1st December, Meteo France placed twelve departments in orange snow and ice warning : this is the Ariege, Cantal, Corrèze, Creuse, Haute-Garonne, Haute-Loire, Puy-de-Dôme , Hautes-Pyrenees, Bouches-du-Rhône and the Var. The Alpes-de-Haute-Provence and Alpes-Maritimes are also concerned.
The weather agency also placed the entire country in yellow warning, with the exception of Brittany, the Vendee, Loire-Atlantique, Hérault, Gard and Hautes-Alpes.
— Mehdi Chebana (@mehdi_chebana) 1 December 2017
Up to 40 cm of snow expected in the Pyrenees
Important (and early) snowfall occurred in the Massif Central, with a layer 8cm raised in Clermont-Ferrand, locally up to 10 cm at low altitude. New showers resume in the afternoon and the following night, bringing a new layer of fresh snow.
The Pyrenees are also affected from 200 to 300 meters. 10 to 20 cm of snow expected above 500 m, 20 to 40 cm above 1000 m, even locally a little more.
And finally on the Var, snow showers will begin in the evening and quickly gain the plains. The improvement is expected in the course of Saturday morning. We expect Episode 5 to 10 cm in plain, locally some more.
Meteo France recalls precautions:
- Be very careful and vigilant if you absolutely must move.
- Learn about traffic conditions.
- Respect traffic restrictions and diversions put in place.
- Allow a minimum equipment should you be forced to wait several hours on the road to board your vehicle.
- Install imperative generators outside buildings.
- Do not use heat to you:
– not intended for this use appliances: stove, brazier, etc.
– combustion auxiliary heaters continuously.
- These devices must operate only intermittently.