Nestlé Boss Apologizes for Recall of Infant Milks Worldwide

RESPONSE TO CRITICISM: Nestlé apologizes after preventive recall of infant milks in nearly 60 countries, linked to risk of bacteria. The group assures that no cases of illness have been confirmed
The general director of Nestlé, Philipp Navratil, apologized in a video published Wednesday on the group’s website, after the voluntary recall of infant milks which affects around sixty countries. “I want […] to sincerely apologize for any concern and disruption this may have caused to parents, caregivers and clients”, he said.
The boss of the Swiss giant insisted on the preventive nature of the measure: I would like to reassure you that no cases of illness linked to the affected products have been confirmed so far. “He also said he “understands” the situation “as a parent” himself, while speaking of a “precautionary” reminder.
Potential presence of cereals
The recall was announced last week by several subsidiaries in Europe, notably in Germany, in Italy, Sweden and France, due to the potential presence of cereulide, a substance of bacterial origin linked to Bacillus cereus, likely to cause diarrhea and vomiting. The list of affected products has expanded over the days, triggering criticism from the’NGO Foodwatch on “dribs and drabs” communication around a “sensitive” product.
Philipp Navratil defended management carried out “rapidly and transparently”, working “closely with the authorities” of “each country”, explaining that “these recalls were announced locally, one by one, as planned”. “All the recalls have now been announced”, he assured, while Nestlé now cites around sixty countries concerned, including China and the Brazil.
Enjoyed this? Get the week’s top France stories
One email every Sunday. Unsubscribe anytime.


