Beaches and coasts attract many tourists to Normandy. But the rivers of the region also reserve surprises, in the middle of green valleys.
Normandy is known for its landing beaches, its rugged coastline of Cotentin, large cliffs of Etretat flowing into the sea … Its hinterland is much less stressed. And yet, the valleys of Normandy are full of unexpected treasures. Verdant, they are crossed by many streams, rivers and lakes. Fishing, water skiing, canoeing, swimming … are on the program. Here is the selection of ideas for outings and activities along the rivers and lakes of Normandy.
Surfer on the tidal bore of Mont-Saint-Michel
In the department of Manche, water activities abound in fresh water, especially at the mouth of rivers flowing into the sea.
- The nautical association of Hautes offers a paddle trip on the river Siena, under the apple trees , to discover the heritage and history of the river trade of the country Coutances, near Coutances.
- Discover, with the club canoe Avranches (Manche) , Sélune, coastal river that flows into the Bay of Mont-Saint-Michel, which is retained upstream in lakes Vezins and La Roche qui Boit. The river will take you along the forest of Ardennes and the mythical forest of Scissy to Ducey.
- For lovers of board sports, do not miss the opportunity to ride the tidal bore of Mont Saint-Michel . This wave of a few decimeters goes up the Sée and Sélune to 10-15km / h. This rare phenomenon occurs only during high tides and attracts many surfers. For those who are not surf professionals, nothing but the show is worth the detour!
Discover Swiss Normandy by canoe
In the Calvados , the hinterland, in the heart of Swiss Normandy, is crossed by the Orne. Many activities are offered, including canoeing. Do not miss the strolls on the watercourse by the sea and in town.
> Read also: MAP. The hidden beaches of Normandy. Vote for your favorite beach
- The municipal base of sailing of Caen proposes a discovery of the city in paddle , which will lead you to the basin Saint-Pierre or along the Prairie, according to the winds.
- Discover the city of Trouville-sur-Mer paddle on the river Touques. This walk offers an original point of view on the casino and the town hall, before passing under the Bridge of the Belgians. For the more adventurous, it is possible to go in the marshes of Touques paddle, meeting one of the richest wetlands of Normandy.
- Near Isigny-sur-Mer, on the border of the department of Manche, go for a nautical kayak ride , following the course of the Elle and the marsh of Neuilly, off the beaten track.
- Our favorite is undoubtedly the canoe / kayak descent of the Orne in the middle of the Suisse Normande , which offers sumptuous landscapes in the gorges of the river. 7km, 10km, 14km, 20 or 28km circuits (Pont d’Ouilly – Clécy – Thury-Harcourt) are proposed.
Sleeping in a floating cabin
The department of Seine-Maritime is crossed by the Seine, the second largest river in France after the Loire. Discover this mythical river by boat , on horseback, on foot …
- Sleeping in a floating cabin in Colleville, near Fecamp , the opportunity to disconnect and decompress in the middle of nature, perched on the water. This floating cabin of 50m², located on a 2.5-hectare pond, has a large terrace with a direct view of the fauna and flora. You can also sail by boat on the pond.
- For the passionate riders, a long hike of 115 km on horseback , the Abbey of Jumièges Abbey of Valasse, is required. This walk will take you to the heart of the Seine Valley, lined with forests and majestic abbeys.
- The boat Le Lutèce offers tours to discover the Seine , around Île Lacroix, La Bouille and the marina of Rouen. Every Thursday night, Lutèce turns into a bar, moored at the dock, with live music. Atmosphere guaranteed!
- For couples lacking romance and who want to have fun, nothing better than a lunch or dinner cruise aboard the ship L’Escapade on the Seine, from Rouen.
The most beautiful lakes of Normandy
In the Eure and Orne, the only two departments in the region that do not have access to the sea, visitors will be surprised by the many rivers and lakes that coexist. With family or friends, swimming, water skiing, canoeing … but also fishing are on the program.
- At Lake Rabodanges, large reservoir of water in Putanges-Pont-Ecrepin (Orne) , it is possible to go water skiing and wakeboarding for maximum thrills! The numerous rivers of the Orne are full of fish and in particular the lake of Rabodanges, which is famous for pike fishing!
- On the river Risle, at the gates of Pont-Audemer (Eure) , the club Castors Rislois offers various services of canoeing on the Risle.
- At the recreation center of Brionne (Eure), water and land activities are available, there is something for everyone! Swimming, canoeing, windsurfing, catamaran, pedalo, fishing are on the program but also mini-golf, tennis, bowling, volleyball …
- On the leisure base of the Three Lakes (Eure) , discover the Lake of Two Lovers playing the card of relaxation: supervised beaches, petanque, volleyball, football, rental of canoeing, pedal boats, water ski lift , miniature golf courses … A little further, the lake of Mesnil welcomes sports clubs and young people for climbing courses, sailing, kayaking …