Saint Patrick’s Day is March 17th. At the religious base, he became very popular. For the occasion, clovers, beers and big green hats will be out.
Guinness , Murphy’s … These big names in Irish beer will surely be on St. Patrick’s Day . On March 17th, the streets will put themselves in the colours of Ireland . Concerts and parades are organised for the occasion, and the bars will take on the Irish tradition.
This popular day is basically a religious holiday. Legend has it that St. Patrick explained the concept of the Holy Trinity to the Irish with a clover. The Irish would then have abandoned the Celtic religion to turn to Christianity. Clover has become the symbol of Ireland.
The date of March 17th is recognized as the legal date of this holiday. Yet is not it the day of the Irish national holiday like July 14 for France or the 1st July for Canada.
A party became popular
Over the years, all countries participate in the festivities by adopting the colour green and all the Irish culture: costume, dishes or drinks.
France, too, puts in the colors of Ireland story of a day. Here are some examples of parties not to be missed:
Bars with the same name
- Saint Patrick’s Day in Saint-Etienne (Loire)
- St. Patrick’s Day at Argent-sur-Sauldre (Cher)
- St. Patrick’s Day in Créteil (Val-de-Marne)
- St. Patrick’s Day in Orleans (Loiret)
Bars at the original evenings
- The mining bar in Tours (Indre-et-Loire) offers an evening of air band.
- The O’Brian’s Irish Pub in Bourges (Cher) offers a concert with Inishowen. A group of six musicians, but more instruments: violin, ueilann pipe, whistles, bodhran, acoustic guitar, banjoline, electric guitar, bass, drums, vocals
Beer and rugby evenings
- The General Humbert’s in La Rochelle (Charente-Maritime) retransmits the matches of the 6 Nations Tournament in an atmosphere worthy of Irish pubs.
- At the village hall of Saint-Pierre-de-Vassols (Vaucluse) , the sporting atmosphere will also be part of
Concerts and parades
- In Monts (Indre-et-Loire) , three groups will be hot for the evening: Ossian is a Rennes group of Breton music to dance, Fleuves is a trio composed of a clarinet, a piano Fender Rhodes and a bass, and the band Waf a duet playing atypical instruments (bombards and hurdy-gurdy)
- From 9:30, the parade will begin in the streets of Villecresnes (Val-de-Marne) . After a disguise contest, the Saint Patrick’s Day will be punctuated with many animations.
- In the streets of Belfort , the parade will start from 16 h. Then place at the Celtic evening at the village hall.
Here is a non-exhaustive map of the various events planned for a good St. Patrick’s Day 2018.