My Patreon page and how you can support this blog
I have opened my Patreon page to the public, you can visit it here. If you haven’t heard of it before, here’s a short video that explains what it’s about:
- Patreon is continuous crowdfunding, like Kickstarter but with monthly support instead of a one-time donation. You can use PayPal and most major credit cards.
- There are different tiers at different price levels, each offering specific rewards. When you pick a higher tier, you automatically get all the rewards at the lower tiers as well.
- You can stop at any time, go to a lower tier or go to a higher tier.
That’s pretty much it. It’s a simple and robust platform that works exactly as advertised.
Why am I using it?
When I started my first site, I promised my wife at the time that I wouldn’t invest money in it, only time. I’ve tried to stick to that promise and worked with advertisers to cover the cost of hosting this blog. I don’t want to be too dependent on too many of them so I kept it limited. The last few years, the number of visitors has risen consistently and it’s come to the point that my current web host isn’t good enough anymore. Then there are the projects that I am interested in starting, but that also needs some investment. To make better posts and videos, I need to invest in equipment, etc. You can read all of the goals on the left side of the page.
I am using Patreon as a way to make this site more self sustainable, more informative and more accessable.
My ultimate goal is to have my Patreon page be something you enjoy, find useful and feel you are getting your money’s worth from.
The first goal that I am aiming for are:
- Upgrade my website to a much better web host. This will improve the speed, up-time and overall user experience for all of you. I’m comparing the plans of a few web hosts right now and am almost ready to pick one. Then the migration process can start.
If you want to support my blog, there’s two ways you can do so:
- Sign up and become a patron here. Support can be as little as $1 a month at the lowest tier; every bit helps and I appreciate all of it.
- Share my Patreon page with people you think might be interested. The more people take a look, the more chances one of them signs up. The more people sign up, the more everybody benefits as it’ll allow me to create more and better content.
For those who support me and to those of you who spread the word: thank you. I very much appreciate it.